A brushed cat is a beautiful cat. Make your cat look good and happy by brushing him daily. Brushing him has a lot of health benefits that we are going to see in this article. Being the owner, you have to demonstrate your responsibility by brushing your cat often. Regular brushing helps in reducing:
1. Loose fur.
2. The number of hairballs and
3. The quantity of hair that your cat loses daily.
Brushing your cat makes it relaxed and less nervous.
How then do we brush a cat?
To do proper brushing, you will need different kinds of tools. This depends on whether your cat has either long or short hair. But despite the length of your cat’s hair, you have to carry out some preparation check-ups. This will help you in noticing any problem at an early stage. Early-stage detections lead to better treatment of your cat.
Brushing a long-haired cat could be slightly different from doing so to a short-haired cat.
How do we brush a long-haired cat?
This is done methodically as follows:
Since the cat’s far is long, you will use a wide-tooth comb brush. This type of brush will not cause discomfort to your cat. However, you have to follow the flow of the hair. You will brush the fur gently so as to remove any loose fur. If your cat gets discomfort, it won’t be ready to stand to be brushed.
When brushing, always start with the head. Then go downwards all the way to the tail.
- Gently turn your cat and comb the fur in the armpits and on the belly. Always remember to do it gently; otherwise, your cat won’t be comfortable with the process. Brush following the direction of the fur. These two areas usually have very long fur. It is common to find tangled hair around these areas. Brush with gentleness and care. Many cats won’t be comfortable when brushing these areas. Train them to get used, as it may take quite some time before they get used to it. When you pull tangled hair, it may make your cat violent.
- After getting entangled fur in the armpits and belly, detangle them first before brushing. Use your fingers and be gentle. If it becomes impossible to work with your fingers, buy a splitter. Splitters are available in any pet supply store.
- In some instances, it might be impossible to detangle the fur. Do not proceed as you may harm your cat. You will then need to get the services of a professional or even a vet. If you forcefully detangle, brush or cut this hair, you will cut your cat’s skin. You won’t love to do that, would you? Cats are so delicate to handle. They may decide to defend themselves by clawing you when they are not happy with your service. In the extreme, they may refuse to cooperate with you when you want to brush them.
- To remove any dead or loose hair, use a rubber mitten. It will also help your cat relax especially if you had detangled it before. Mittens can be found in pet stores too.
- Wear your gloves and with some drops of water, spread it around fingers and palms. Give your cat a pet. This process helps to remove any remaining hair that had been left by the brush.
- Get rid of excess fur in the brush. Do it regularly when brushing, for efficiency in the work.
Also Read Best Cat Brush For Long Haired Cats Guide.
How to brush short-haired cats
- Using a metal brush, move from head to tail. Go with the direction of the hair. Be gentle and careful as always because your cat could be very sensitive.
- The next step is to brush the sides and the abdomen. Do it without forgetting to follow the direction of the fur. Exercise caution and care as the cats are overprotective when you touch these sides. It makes them feel vulnerable.
- Do the final touches using gloves dipped in water. Give your cat a pet. This helps remove any remaining fur missed by the brush.
- Clean your brush regularly. Remove excess fur when the brush is full.
To groom your cat, the process is almost similar for all cats. As the cat owner, you need to understand your cat type and apply the appropriate process. Always make your cat presentable by grooming it on daily basis.
You May Also Like
Saundra J. Graves is a housewife. I love to keep my cats happy always. Also, I want to make sure another person takes caring their cats and kittens. Stay with my personal blog to know caring tips and reviews of cat & dog food, other products also.