Ants can be a real nuisance when it comes to your cat’s food and when feeding it. They will often prevent your cat from eating well since they tend to cover the food all around. They will then steal your cat’s food depriving it of much-needed nutrients. We are going to look at some of the ways to eliminate this menace.
Why do ants attack your cat’s food?
Ant attacks your cat’s food because:
☑️ They want to have a share of the meal – though they may not even be aware that it is something edible.☑️ They use the food particle to construct their own “houses”.
How do you prevent and keep away ants from your cat’s food
There are more than one ways of keeping them off from your cat’s meal. They are:
- Always remember to keep your pet’s food in a plastic container which is airtight. Ants do not have the ability to eat up the storage all the way to the food. Another good thing about this container is that it preserves the freshness of your cat’s food, without getting bad. There are many brands of containers that are good for keeping your cat food.
- As a way of defense against the ants, always apply petroleum jelly as a cover outside the bowl. This is highly rebellious to the ants, with a tendency of keeping them away. On the other hand, ants do not have always find it hard to walk around in a sticky and slippery surface; hence it won’t be able to reach your cat’s food easily.
- You will need to spray insecticide to the ants to stop them from attacking your cat’s food. Alternatively, you will need to demarcate the border around your cat’s food.
- There are different methods of placing a border around your cat’s food and they include:
☑️The use of vinegar or even lemon on the floor where you place your cat’s bowl of food. This substance automatically repels the ants.
☑️Use petroleum jelly around the place you keep your cat food. It gives the ants a rough time walking across it.
☑️ Use chalk to draw a line around the bowl of your cat food. This chalk is poisonous in nature hence the ants can’t withstand it.
- When the ants get used to the same feeding area of your cat, they will always attack that food. This could be due to the presence of food in its colony. When you change the feeding location, the ants will find it difficult to locate the foods, at least for some time; hence they won’t be able to attack it.
- Ants usually find it difficult to attack your food if the feeding area is clean. They always go to a dirty area because of the likelihood of finding a meal there. You will need to clear the feeding area of any leftovers as that is what the ants like to attack the most. Wash the floor using acidic component such as lemon. Ants won’t withstand that.
- When you are not feeding your cat, consider taking off the bowl from where the cat usually feeds from. When ants come looking for their meal, they will be disappointed not to find any. Finally, they may finally end up giving up on the search.
Can cats share the food with the ants?No, they won’t share a meal with the ants. In many cases, the ants will eat the leftovers from the cat’s food but they cannot share a meal from one plate. In some instances, what is edible to the cat may not be edible to the ants and vice versa. So, it won’t be ways to find them sharing a meal.
Ants, being small as they are can cause your cat to starve. They are a big nuisance that needs to be get rid of for your cat to be able to enjoy its food in peace. There are many ways of getting rid of this menace. This article is built with insightful information that should guide you on how to reduce this problem. Refer to this guide any time you need some information about keeping the ants away from your cat’s food.
Saundra J. Graves is a housewife. Love to keep my cats happy always. Also, I want to make sure another person take caring their cats and kittens. Stay with my personal blog to know caring tips and review of cat food.